Monday, March 27, 2006

DVD of the Weekend - War Games

Hi folks, as it's been a while since I last posted a quality post, I feel it's about time I catch up with some recent events. What I'm currently working on, is gathering a very knowledgaable bunch of dudes in order to open up a discussion on the emerging market for 0day vulnerabilities, and I'm very happy about the guys that have already showed interest in what I plan to do -- more on that around the week, or the beginning of the next week.



As you're all hopefully aware by now, yet another 0day IE vulnerability is in the wild, so either change your browsing habits for a little while(don't or you lose the battle, as secure surfing is still possible to a certain extend), or consider switching to another alternative -- security through obscurity isn't the panacea of fighting the problem in here, instead it's just a temporary precaution. On the other hand I'm desperately trying to promote my RSS compatible feed URL to make it easier for everyone to keep up to date with posts, whereas the majority of readers seem to enjoy reading the blog directly,


I appreciate that!



As always, it's disturbing how "quality" always becomes the excuse for security, in respect to MS delaying patches (or is it just patches only?) whereas WebSense is already aware of over 200 web sites disseminating the exploit code, I wonder are they counting the hundreds of thousands of zombie pcs acting as propagation vectors. In one of my previous posts "5 things Microsoft can do to secure the Internet, and why it wouldn't?" I tried to summarize some of my thoughts on the problem, while on the other hand things definitely change pretty fast as always -- for the good I hope! Was the participants' secrecy in place, in order not to get a "shame on you" look from fellow hackers, whatever the reason, I doubt anyone is going to change their hats soon.



UPDATE :
Déjà Vu as Third Parties Ship IE Patches, and the patches themselves, while on the other hand it's great that anti-virus vendors have as well started detecting malicious sites using it.



Going back this weekend's DVD (check out the previous DVDs and vibes as well) War Games has shaped not just imaginations back in 1983, but acted as an important factor for the rise of another generation -- not wardialers, but wannabe hackers obsessed with command'n'control strategies such as Civilization 1 or Dune II, or at least that's how I remember it. Today's War Games have another dimension and it's called Network-Centric Warfare, or military communications and control over IP, and while there's a little chance an AI would malfunction and cause Doom's day, human factor mistakes will always prevail. As always, SFAM seems to have reviewed the majority of cool movies, so check out the review.



Technorati tags :
, ,